Thursday, December 23, 2010

Sg. Nibong Fire causes excitement among local politicians

Suspected faulty electrical wiring may have caused two families to lose their homes in a fire that broke out yesterday afternoon at Sungai Nibong Tengah, near the Shell station at Sunshine Square in Bayan Baru. No casualties were reported.

"The fire was put under control within 20 minutes. The cause of the fire is still under investigation," said Arifuddin Atis, the chief fireman.

Arifuddin also confirmed that the Jalan Tengah fire station received a call from the public at 2:29 p.m., and that the fire engines arrived at the scene in less than five minutes.

“..I saw smoke coming out of his house and immediately dialled 999,” said Mohd Rashid Hasnon, representing the state assemblyman for Pantai Jerejak, Sim Tze Tzin.

Sim presented RM1500 each to the two families today.

"The financial aid is from my allocation, Tabung TYT and Jabatan Kebajikan Masyarakat," he added.

“I have also initiated the volunteer fire-brigade with Arifuddin today,” commented Sim, indicating a need for more volunteer services in the community.

According to Chan Kim Beng from the Residents’Association of Bayan Baru, several notable people were present at the scene. Wong Mun Hoe, the BN coordinator for Pantai Jerejak, together with Tan Lai Theng and K.Sathiaselan; both chairman of the Bayan Baru division of MCA and MIC respectively.

Independent MP for Bayan Baru, Zahrain Mohd Hashim will visit the site tomorrow morning.

Ong Poh Siang resided in the squatter house together with his family. His father, daughter and son-in-law, Lim Seng Teong lived next door. Everyone except the elderly man was at work when the fire broke out. The elder Ong had shouted for help which caught the attention of his neighbour some ten minutes later. His daughters are Lake Koon, Lake Hoon and Lake Cheng.

Four fire engines arrived at the scene. However, only a small fire engine managed to squeeze through the narrow paths of the squatter area to the site. During which, the fire had already razed the whole house leaving behind only some walls.

The total amount of loss is not known yet.
Post a Comment